Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Uncle Max

"Uncle Max", number 158 of 188 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

This miniature is not about Uncle Max really but is really a nod to Aitken's love of his Aunt Margaret. She was the foundation on which Uncle Max depended. They share a simple life and in the end it sounds as though they both were bodhisattvas, one supporting the other.

This "just being herself" is the highest embodiment of love.

This reminded me of an emotional video interview Dick and Rick Hoyt, the pair of athletes known as Team Hoyt. At the 5:00 minute mark in the video below, the interviewer reads a letter to Dick about the writers failings as a father and the inspiration found by knowing Dick. Dick is visibly moved to tears. And as a true bodhisattva says "I just think I'm myself."

I only aspire to "just be myself".






Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time

No comments:

Post a Comment