Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Counting Seconds

"Counting Seconds", number 161 of 188 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

I continue to be moved by the sweetness of these miniatures.

Different from Aitken, I learned to mark seconds with "One, one thousand, two, one thousand, three, one thousand..." I don't remember who it was that instructed me so.

If learning as a thing, is comprised of the thing and the circumstances of the learning, I've remembered the thing but not the circumstances of the learning. Does this disadvantage my learning? It doesn't feel that way. Yet it makes it hard to reminisce.

Hopefully, reminiscing will be a skill developed over time. The question is do I have enough time left? I'll have to reminisce vicariously. (Wow, where did that come from?)

This seems a train of thought going nowhere thankfully. Time to measure out the breakfast oatmeal.



As irrigators lead water where they want, as archers make their arrows straight, as carpenters carve wood, the wise shape their minds.

~The Dhammapada





Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time

No comments:

Post a Comment