Friday, August 7, 2009

The Palaka Shirt

"The Palaka Shirt", number 129 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

The Palaka shirt is a traditional Hawaiian shirt. It had a purpose in the past and is still warn by old-timers.

Some things connect us with the past and we often are unaware of the true nature of those connections. Is affinity with one's past, part of one's character? Does poor affinity equal poor character?

What would affinity with one's future be called? Does affinity for one's future equal healthy character?

When I was young I didn't know a past to have affinity for. I only had a future. Now that I'm older the equation is reversed. Lots of past and not so much future. As I get as old as Aitken Roshi, I'll have eons of past and little future.

Or is all this the trick time plays on us?

Forever returning to the question, "Who hears?".



Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment