Saturday, August 15, 2009

"Moose, Indian"

"Moose, Indian", number 135 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.


Henry David Thoreau's last words were "Moose, Indian". There has been a lot said about this. Roshi puts forth that maybe we should "let the poor guy die in peace."

Death Poetry is a style of poetry written during the once-in-a-lifetime event of personal death.

Some samples of Zen Death Poems.

Sixty-six times have these eyes beheld the
   changing scene of autumn.
I have said enough about moonlight,
Ask no more.
Only listen to the voice of pines and cedars
   when no wind stirs.
Ryonen 

Look straight ahead. What's there?
If you see it as it is
You will not err.
Bassui Tokusho

For over sixty years
I often cried Katsu! to no avail.
And now, while dying,
Once more to cry Katsu!
Won't change a thing.
Koken Sochin

Empty-handed I entered the world
Barefoot I leave it.
My coming, my going -
Two simple happenings
That got entangled.
Kozan Ichikyo

These poems come from a collection of Japanese death poems called oddly enough, Japanese Death Poems.



Watched a very interesting discussion between Dr. Robert Thurman, Karen Armstrong, and Phil Cousineau.

"The Spiritual Quest is often understood as a desire to reach God, or to attain spiritual enlightenment.  It is a search that is often challenging, full of questions and uncertainties.  In this episode of Global Spirit, writer and lecturer  hosts comparative religion scholar Karen Armstrong and Professor of Buddhist studies Dr. Robert Thurman for a discussion of The Spiritual Quest as both a personal and religious phenomenon."



Saw the movie "Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left for the East" last night with my Zen peeps. I have to saw it was not to my tastes. It was long, boring and confusing. we were saved the ending my Matt's DVD player dying after 2.5 hours of augh! Dream scenes and what might have been flashbacks were randomly interspersed and the dialog, what little there was, was over the top Zen crap. The NY Times review painted a different picture. Guess, just not my speed. Your mileage may vary.




Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment