Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Empty Space

"The Empty Space", number 131 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

Rufus Hummingbird
From WoodenZen

Today seems like a good day for some reflection on this book and my treatment of it.

Like these miniatures, my treatment has been up and down. The quality of my attention to the topics is uneven. "The Empty Space" is about how by creating an empty space of no expectations, we create an unencumbered life. Or "The Empty Space" is about how we can not hide our true nature from the the universe.

Either way, I would have said it differently. And that is the point isn't it. This is Robert Aitken's book not mine. I am so happy to have found Robert even though I've never met him. I've only known him through is writing. That is enough.

This miniature turns out to have a happy ending. But that is not the point. Life ends how it ends. Happy or not is not the point. In the end what matters is moment to moment presence.

Here are some questions I'll ask myself at the end.
  1. Am I awake?
  2. Did I love?
  3. Who is it that is ending?
  4. Was I kind?
Here we go! Why wait! Question everything, especially your preparation for the end.

Go create 'the empty space' life lives in!



Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment