Friday, July 17, 2009

The Naming of Children

"The Naming of Children" number 108 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

I have no children. What comes up for me is a cacophony of miscellanea.
  • My parents named me William, after my dad
  • Some people are cursed with inappropriate names by confused parents
    and have to pay a price their whole lives. Given the possibilities, I'm
    happy with William.
  • William was the 8th most popular name given in 2008. If you are curious about the prevalence of your first name, go here and enter it in the query box.
  • Marilyn is the first name of the person with the worlds highest IQ. A different Marilyn lives near me and her IQ is not all that high.
  • He went by Bill and I went by Billy till I revolted. I'm now known as Will.


Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment