Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Reason

From WoodenZen
After the rain


"First Reason" number 91 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

The initial reasons we use to take up a new practice are not important. We start where we are.

Chögyam Trungpa said that when we develop a tenderness towards ourselves we get the opportunity to see both our potential and our personal foibles. Developing an appreciation for what is the mixture and texture of our very own lives is the grounding necessary to just start. Start, the first reason quickly becomes a memory.

I can not remember why I stepped on the path of Zen. I dabbled on the 70's reading Alan Watts, Ram Dass, Shunryu Suzuki, Philip Kapleau and others. Got the opportunity to meet the Dalai Lama in San Francisco, on his first visit to America. Lots of reading and discussion. No sitting zazen practice, no work with a teacher. That started much later. But in both cases I can not remember how I got interested and at this point I'm frankly just not interested in figuring out why.


Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment