Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dumbing Down

"Dumbing Down" number 88 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

The word teishō refers to a presentation of the Dharma, usually by a Zen Master during a sesshin. To call it a lecture or talk is "dumb down" the Way. Some mystery and wonder enlivens the practice. There is no need to equate the Way of Zen with Sunday School.

When I first started practicing formally with the group I now practice with, I thought there was too much romanticism with Medieval Japanese culture. Now, I see that we are a bit to casual with the practice and too quick to attempt to make it comfortable and familiar with out first seeing intimately.

Tomorrow, déjà vu.


Any error or confusion created by my commentary on
Miniatures of a Zen Master
is solely a reflection of my own delusion and ignorance.
Any merit generated by this activity is solely the result of
Aitken Roshi's clear teaching and is dedicated to
all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas throughout space and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment