Monday, April 6, 2009

The Domain of Integrity

"The Domain of Integrity" number 17 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

In this miniature, Robert Aitken contrasts what he calls the domain of integrity with the complications of justification. Or more accurately, a deepening experience of practice and it's opposite.

I notice this polarity in me. When practice deepens there is a spaciousness of intimacy, a connection with wind chimes greeting the morning breeze. When this quality is interrupted by the business and busyness of life, enter the "complicated place of justification". I can see this in me. Over and over I pick at this mess. Over and over I enter the domain of integrity.


Last night I finished reading "To Forget the Self - An Illustrated Guide to Zen Meditation" by John Daishin Buksbazen. This is one of the superior beginner books. A friendly no nonsense introduction to sitting, sangha practice and the workings of a zendo. Where this book really excels is with the photographs by John Daido Loori. I find the cover photograph to be quite haunting. In a good way. This book was published in 1978. I looked for a picture of the book on the web but could not find one. Maybe tomorrow I'll post one.

No comments:

Post a Comment