Wednesday, April 8, 2009

As You Are

"As You Are" number 19 of 200 from Robert Aitken's book Miniatures of a Zen Master.

Boy, do I have a lot to learn and unlearn! Yesterday, Aitken told us that there is nothing 'out there' that we can get that will enlighten us. I immediately jumped to 'well it is not adding something so it must be a sort of subtracting sort of process'. Well, today the Roshi jerks that carpet out from underneath my feet. Thank you Roshi.

Here I think a small quote from today's miniature will nail it.
"Over and over the master assures you, "You are all right to the very bottom." This is not an assurance that beneath all your differences and peculiarities you will finally reach something called "Buddhahood.""
Robert Aitken is so encouraging, this is what I've aways loved about him. Encouraging and smart. His love of the dharma, and the sangha is always right out front. He is such an inspiration.

Enough gushing over the retired Roshi! Onward to the day!



I'd like to point you to Robert Aitken's blog. http://robertaitken.blogspot.com/ Yesterdays post fortifies todays miniature for me in a surprising way. Check it out and see if you are surprised too.

No comments:

Post a Comment